Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Week 8 v. Single Thong Joe

Every content producer/publisher eventually has to give in. You know, sacrifice depth, variance, and skillful execution in their reporting in favor of the simpleton either-or format that consumers greedily lap up like Little Leaguers with post-game ice cream. So here goes nothing: your first ever good v. evil Man's League Blog.

Good: Luke Scott went absolutely crazy. Like so crazy Mike Tyson saw the SportsCenter scroll and immediately drove to the nearest tattoo parlor and got a red and purple dragon that extends from his right ear lobe to his left underarm and blows fire all the way across his back, all in the hopes of possibly reclaiming his spot in the pantheon of insanity. When Scott came off the DL, I was pleased to have him back in the lineup. Never did I expect 6 HR, 14 RBI, and .444 average in one week. Wow.

Evil: Despite all of that, I still lost RBI and average. ugh.

Good: Eric Bedard pitched very well in his debut for the Queen City Five-Ways.

Evil: Joe got three beastly pitching performances on Monday from "Lawnmower Man" Zack Greinke, "Big Fat" Livan Hernandez, and "Mad" Max Scherzer. Then he proceeded to bench his other starters the rest of the week. Not only did this allow him to lock in ratio categories like ERA and WHIP, but it also took advantage of my team's inability to strike anyone out. Even in a game against a lineup full of Rob Deers my squad couldn't get more then 7 K's. So I lost ALL pitching categories.

Good: My boys scored a ton of runs - 51 exactly. In fact, this team strength is now in the top three in the entire league. That gives me four very strong categories overall (ERA, WHIP, & W as well).

Evil: All those runs only got me a tie in that category. Sheesh. And now Joe has leaped past me in the Megan Fox Division standings.

In summary, I got beat by a big score this week. But it was much closer than that. I was actually ahead on Sunday afternoon by a score of 5-4-1. Then his offense stepped it up enough to take down my unusually good numbers. A lot of positive signs, but not a lot to show for it.

Hopefully at the end of this first week of June I will have something to show for it, because I face Sixteen Brendan (remember him, my trading buddy?). That means Bedard and Buerhle face their former teams, with both squads really needing a win. What will happen? Wait, that's too open-ended for this format. Ketchup or Mustard? Paper or Plastic? Fingers crossed...

No comments:

Post a Comment