Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Week 1 v. Little Black Dress Dave

It's a Man's League. All the teams have to have flaws. We go really deep just to fill out the rosters. But which flaws will hurt more? I guess that's why we play the season.

So heading into the first week, I didn't know how I matched up with my opponent, Little Black Dress Dave. Dave made one of the best Name Game drops out there, so we had that 'have made production for the podcast pro bono' thing in common. Then just before the season began, I got bad news about Ichiro - he was tired because he had a bleeding ulcer. Not cool!!! Early on, I was able to build a big lead in pitching thanks to Derek Lowe's fine opening night performance. I maintained that lead all week. We knew Dave was going to win saves (he actually has closers), and I was going to take Wins (I have a lot of starters).

What was surprising to me about the matchup was that I pulled out some hitting categories despite missing Ichiro (my #2 pick) and Geovany Soto (my #4 pick, who hurt his shoulder 3 games in). Somehow my lineup, which I thought to be weak on power, cobbled together enough HRs to earn a tie there. Jermaine Dye, my main power source, had a key HR on Sunday to earn that split as well as the point for RBI. My speed was good enough even without Ichiro, and my top-of-the-lineup guys scored enough runs to take that too. My batting average stunk. But that's too be expected with Ichiro out.

So yeah, I won the first week, and by a good score too. I am pleasantly surprised because my best lineup was definitely not out there. But looking at the league averages, I know that my offense would not have fared so well against many other opponents. This turn of fortune has me sitting tied atop the Megan Fox Division at 7-2-1. Can only go down from here!

Now we move on to face Regurgitated Ted, who lost to Put it on the Boooooooard! Tim by the score of 3-5-2 in his opening matchup. He took the power categories (Pujols, don'tcha know), but couldn't muster much else. His pitching seems okay, but could definitely cripple me if he gets fantasy goodness from his aces. Fingers crossed...

No comments:

Post a Comment