Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Week 2 v. Regurgitated Ted

Thank you, power supply. I was worried heading into the season - where would my power come from? Jermaine Dye, sure. Cody Ross, maybe, but with a pretty rough average. Andre Ethier? He was going to be good, I was sure. But this good? I had no idea. 4 home runs and 12 RBI = MVP of week two. Even Ichiro got me a home run and 4 RBI once he returned from the DL. Take that, evil ulcer of doom! I took those two categories as well as average on the offensive side. My starters were once again strong on the mound, where I took wins, ERA, and WHIP. Bonus: I even found a closer!! Ryan Franklin got me two saves (not a ton, but enough to win) and he's in line for more opportunities in that crazy twilight zone known as the Cardinals bullpen.

The bad news, in bullet-point format:

  • Hot-start Cristian Guzman is on the DL with a hamstring problem. Not good for a slap-hitting run scorer. Darn.
  • David Freese is probably going to be sent down. I'll need to replace him, and the waiver wire is looking pretty slim. Well, it was, is, and will be.
  • All that good news from above must be tempered with reality. Ethier will not produce like this every week. Sure, he'll benefit from being right in the middle of a very good Dodgers lineup, but this was the extreme high end of the curve.
  • I didn't rack up many strikeouts. My starters are not full of K's. This could be a problem at some point. Or at a lot of points.
  • Despite my two wins, I am not obviously superior in any categories in the overall league picture. Am I the beneficiary of some early-season luck? Yes. How much? Um, let me get back to you.
Farewell, Regurgitated Ted. Your team abbreviation is cute (BARF), but you have been vanquished. I sit atop the Megan Fox division at 14-5-1. Looking forward to a match-up with Team Laurie in week three. So far Laurie sits right ahead of BARF at the bottom of the division, having lost to LBD Dave (my first week opponent), and with a win over Sixteen (it should be Seventeen) Brendan. His strength so far has been power hitting. That's right, Team Laurie is owned by a dude named John whose long haircut caused people viewing him from behind to accidentally call him by his mom's name. Ouch. Hopefully he'll get another, far more statistical ouch, this week. Fingers crossed...

No comments:

Post a Comment